Friday, September 10, 2010

6 months!

Happy Birthday, Atticus!

Atticus had his six-month check-up today (very prompt). His new stats:

weight: 20 pounds 13.5 ounces (95th percentile)
height: 29 3/4 inches (off the charts; plus, this means we now officially need a new car seat)
head: 46 cm (95th percentile)

He took his vaccinations like a champ--only a few tears, despite that he bled all over my jeans. And this despite that he's been teething something fierce the last few days. I can now feel a tiny something of the second tooth above his gums.

The doctor went on about how I need to give him iron-fortified cereal soon, that breastmilk is insufficient in iron. Am I the only one who is suspicious of this claim? Okay, I know I'm not the only one, but seriously, how would we all be here if breastmilk was so darn insufficient? It makes no sense to me that my baby NEEDS processed white rice cereal with iron added to it. And if breastmilk really is an insufficient source of iron, which I doubt (and I've seen studies that challenge this claim), why not give him real foods with iron in them, such as spinach and beef and beans? Why processed foods?

3 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    Wow what a good update! First, I would suggest that maybe you should change doctors. You have had a number of things that didn't really sit right on approach. Is his/her other advice ok?

    Second, can you send me a few measurements of Atticus...like from neck to waist, length of arm, length from hip to ankle....I might have a project that would benefit!

    Thanks,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep in mind I took these measurements while A was awake and wiggling with all his might, but I think I got them pretty close:

    neck to waist ~25 cm
    arm length ~24 cm
    hip to ankles ~31 cm
    waist ~41 cm
    chest ~ 50 cm

    I've thought about looking for another doctor, but I'm hesitant because this guy was voted one of the best in Tucson, and comes well-recommended among people I know. One friend of mine has had three pediatricians before him. She says that he may not be perfect, but he's far better than the other three she abandoned. It seems to me that generally pediatricians are just the type of people who go by whatever the APA currently says... I've heard word-of-mouth that the med students who choose pediatrics are generally the worst students. I know there must be plenty of exceptions, but well... I disagree with a number of things my doc says, but he is generally likeable at least; and he has good intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not convinced that being a good student is predictive of becoming a good practitioner. I bet the best medical students actually go into research. In fact, Dr. Wigg once told me that generally speaking the A students became researchers, the B students became the best practitioners, and the C students made the most money. Okay, so my post is totally tangential. Glad to here A is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete