Friday, November 12, 2010

the interrogative mood

Some things I want to remember:
  • One of Atticus's preferred sounds, in addition to "mama," is "eh" with an interrogative inflection, as if he is constantly asking us questions about the world around him, and probably he is. (a sign of things to come?)
  • The other day Atticus and I shared a banana while I was wearing him in the ergo. I pulled off a piece for him, a piece for me, back and forth like that. I think it was our first truly shared meal, and it made me happy.
  • Last night Atticus took his first crawling steps, but he then got jammed on one of his feet. This morning I noticed that he no longer cries and gives up as soon as he flops onto his belly. He's able to lift himself back up again. He's stronger and more confident. I think he's going to be full-on crawling in a matter of a few days. Watch out, grandparents!
  • It occurred to me last week that Atticus knows what to call me since I'm frequently talking to him in third person (I read that this helps babies learn what to call you, etc.), but since Chris doesn't do this, Atticus probably doesn't know what to call him. I've made a concerted effort to refer to Chris as "dada" all week, and the last few days Atticus has been saying "dadada..." when Chris is present. Last night he did it as he reached for Chris and put his arms around him. priceless
  • The other sound he's practicing a lot is "ba," perhaps inspired by my saying "ball" a lot since balls seem to be his favorite toys.

1 comment: