Tuesday, March 8, 2011


Atticus enjoying the wind

Well, I'm feeling quite a bit better about going back to work full time--at the moment anyhow. I made a decision that has helped a lot. We're no longer going to transfer Atticus to a different daycare. The place he's at now told me I could bring in whatever food I want if we stay. And that was the main reason we were leaving. Plus, staying where we're at will save me at least an hour a day of commuting, which means an extra hour or more to spend with Atticus. And, this morning when I dropped him off, the door that connects the infant and one-year-old room was open, and as soon as I put Atticus down on the floor, he took off for the one-year-old room, never looking back. Apparently he loves it in there. I didn't know this. It was really, really good to see. The place he's at now isn't perfect, but then neither is the place I was going to transition him to (and no place is). Despite having initially told me they had no problems with me bringing in substitute snacks (they provide snacks at the alternative place, but not lunch) last week I was urged to bring snacks that looked just like the snacks all of the other kids are eating. Umm. Fruit, cheese, and yogurt do not resemble goldfish or ritz crackers in any way that I can think of. Plus, the caregiver then said that if I couldn't do that, at the very least make sure Atticus's snacks didn't look more appealing than the status quo. She said, for example, when the other kids are having crackers, it would be helpful if I didn't bring snacks like fruit and yogurt. Umm. What would she have me bring? Cat food? She said that the other kids would probably steal Atticus's snacks and conflict would arise. As if she couldn't possibly prevent or alleviate such conflict. Argh. And on the few days that the snacks aren't crackers, they're replaced with various items from McDonald's--Mcyogurt, Mcappleslices, Mcmuffins. No thank you. Plus, there was some business about shoes. She wanted Atticus to wear full-on sneakers even though he's not walking yet. If he has to wear sneakers that don't allow him to grip with his toes, he may never walk.

In other news, Atticus no longer seems to mind grass. He's willingly crawling around in it. What he really loves are rocks and keeps trying to put them into his mouth. We argue about this. I wouldn't mind if I could trust him not to try to swallow them.

He wants to do just about everything himself these days. He tries to comb his own hair, feed himself with a spoon, grab the reins of the swings, etc. If I put a hat onto his head, he takes it off and puts it onto my head.

He's been especially happy these last few days, it seems. Perhaps it's because I caved and started the antibiotic--no more pain. And daddy returned home Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. The sitcom comedy nature of the provider's comments would be funny if you weren't having to seriously deal with it. Aha! The yogurt in Ritz cracker clothing. What really blows my mind is that no other parents are providing snacks for their kid. Aren't they paying attention to what their young child ingests? Well, no, I guess they aren't. Nutrition awareness still has a long way to go for most. I appreciate your fight for "purity". You can't acheive it, but you'll be so much closer by making the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's already eating some processed foods--puffs, cheerios, etc. Although he has yet to have Ritz crackers or goldfish, I wouldn't be violently opposed to him having them on rare occasion. But practically every day?! Will that provide his growing body and brain with the nutrients they require? Sheesh. It is shocking to me how few parents think about this stuff.

    ReplyDelete