Sunday, May 30, 2010

crazy weekend

Friday night, after spending several hours drinking and listening to music, Chris came down with what we think was the stomach flu. At first I wasn't exactly sympathetic to his complaints that he wasn't feeling so well seeing as he was staggering about a bit from all the vodka/red bulls, but then he started vomiting and getting chills, etc. etc. I quarantined him in the guest bedroom so that Atticus and I might survive the weekend unscathed. Poor Chris was sick all day yesterday. He consumed nothing but water and a tiny bowl of cereal (which I don't think stayed down). He was a smidgen better by the end of the day, but really perked up a lot today. He showered, even went to Target and Subway. Now he's watching Star Wars.

Meanwhile, Atticus and I stayed far far away from the guest bedroom and bathroom that Chris occupied, and I spent my free time going over the house with an antibacterial cleaner. I don't like using that kind of thing on a regular basis, but in this case, I had no qualms about it.

On Saturday, Atticus and I attended a memorial service for my dear friend Leslie who passed away last week from mesothelioma. It helped to have him there--a sweet, warm little body demanding to be fed and burped and cuddled; a reminder that life is constantly being given, as well as taken. Atticus enjoyed the singing and the stained glass windows.

Earlier that morning, I got baby thumb skin with the nail clippers instead of nail. It was awful. He cried, and I was sucking blood off his poor little thumb for several minutes, it seemed. Luckily, he's very forgiving. He nursed and seemed to forget all about it. And it was the thumb he sucks too. He doesn't seem to mind though, even though seeing that flap of skin still pains me.

I also startled him yesterday. I guess he didn't see me coming, and on top of that I accidentally bumped into his hug bug, which has several different rattles in it and was lying right next to him. He let out a good cry then too. But I made up for it by taking a two-hour nap with him. He loves napping with mommy.

Now I'm wondering if he might be pre-teething already. He's showing many signs of it (drooling; the sudden interest in his thumb, not to mention the rest of his hand; and biting me) but who knows. I'll wait and watch. I have some pics of his cute thumbsucking, which I'll have to post later because I'm feeling too lazy to go get the camera.

Oh, and Atticus slept more than 7 hours straight three nights in a row this week, but then not last night--only about 4 hours. hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment