Tuesday, July 27, 2010

mimicry

Yesterday I held Atticus up to the bay window in our bedroom to watch the rain pouring down. (Yes, monsoon at last!) I don't think he knew there was glass between us until I started tapping on it to show him that it was there. He watched me for maybe half a minute, and then he started tapping away at the glass himself.

Today, he tapped on my face.

***

This past weekend I tried to bring A's feet to his attention. He's grabbed at them here and there, but he hasn't really seemed to notice them all that much except to walk around on them (with my support, of course). Now today his attention was focused on his feet every time he was horizontal. He spent about half his day with a foot in each hand. Several times he tried to get them into his mouth.

***

Atticus has recently become enamored with the cats. If one saunters into view, he won't take his eyes off of it. He pet both cats yesterday, meaning he clasped flaps of ear and clumps of fur in his fists. All the while, his eyes were fixated on their tails. I'm hoping he learns from my example how to pet the cats gently so that he doesn't get scratched.

Morocco seems interested in him too. Either that or he's s just renewing his obsession with me (and A happens to often be near me), which had sort of ended when I started neglecting him after A's birth. All of a sudden he's climbing into my lap now when I play with Atticus on the floor of his bedroom, and he's whining at my bedroom door when A and I are in there, door closed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh,,, how fun!!! Mimicry is the best....such active evidence that he is learning and interacting with you.

    ReplyDelete