Sunday, January 16, 2011

what's new

This weekend, Atticus has started taking his pajama pants off when he wakes up. When Chris went to get him yesterday morning, he found him standing in the crib pantless, a sock dangling from his mouth. He's also becoming more grabby with his diaper, which worries me a tad.

He's recently taken to squatting quite a bit--stand, squat, back to a stand, and so on.

I found out Friday at a playdate that he's totally ready for a walker. He knew instantly what to do and pushed that thing all over Illy's playroom. I tried to find him a used one this weekend--no luck thus far. If not tomorrow, then I'll order one.

Tonight in the bath, Atticus handed me one of his toys. I'm pretty sure this is the first time he's ever shared like that--with me anyhow.

Tooth #8 came in this week (the bottom left lateral incisor).

A few days ago he pooped in the bath tub for the first time. Why this is noteworthy news, I can't say exactly, but it is, that's why I'm bothering telling you so (one of the best things about having a baby, besides the sweet smiles and giggles and cuddling, etc. etc. is getting to read so much Dr. Seuss).

I have yet to fill you all in on the great sleeping news. Atticus hasn't slept in the bed with us for a few weeks now, not since just after Christmas. It seems that he doesn't want to anymore. The last few times I took him into bed with us after he awoke in the middle of the night, he got fussy and couldn't settle himself down back to sleep. I put him back in his crib, and he slept just fine. He's also sleeping great during naps too. I no longer leave him in the car when he passes out on the way home; I'm actually able to transfer him to the crib without much trouble. I'm not sure exactly how I pulled this shift off. Part of it is that I started routinely rolling him onto his belly once I lay him down. I pat his back a little bit. Other than that, it must be the sleep fairy. I sometimes go into nurse him once a night, but that's it. It's so lovely.

Atticus has been testing us more and more lately. He knows what he's not supposed to play with--the stove knobs, the outlets, his humidifier--and so when he approaches them, he gives us a knowing and daring look: "You gonna try to stop me?" Sometimes he cries as soon as we say "no." Sometimes he keeps trying again and again, undeterred.

He's also testing us when it comes to meals. Some days I can't get him to eat anything else unless I first give him a puff or a piece of those oatmeal cookies I make him. I know I ought not let him win, but I also worry about putting him to bed hungry and having to endure a sleepless night. Other nights, like tonight, he's a fantastic eater: no bribes necessary. Tonight he ate broccoli, sweet potato, acorn squash, mozarella cheese, egg yolk, and some of what we had for dinner, which included chicken, carrots, black beans, and spices.

Consistently though, he has little interest in eating anything off of a spoon anymore--anything but yogurt, that is. So that my remaining frozen food cubes don't go to waste, I've started mixing them with yogurt, so that he'll cooperate.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Your detailed descriptions really make me feel closer to his development. BTW, those bribes become a self fulfilling prophecy, so you'd better watch out, and I doubt that Atticus would starve. :-) Also, it would be great if Chris would on occasion volunteer his father's POV on Atticus' development since parents always see things from their own perspective. (And, I'm in no way taking any value away from his great videos in suggesting this. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful update......I agree with Alan, it really makes me feel closer. I loved the ball video too!

    ReplyDelete