Wednesday, June 23, 2010

the return of the teething hypothesis

So, once again, I wonder if Atticus is suffering brief periods of teething pain. Every day this week there's been a period where he was pretty difficult to console. That's not like him.

However, besides the crying, there's also the occasional drooling, thumb and fist sucking, and biting. Plus, today when he started into the crying bout, I put my finger in his mouth, and he chomped down on it and ceased crying for a bit. When he started up crying again, I decided this was enough to warrant trying out the homeopathic teething tablets we bought a while back. Is it wrong to drug my baby when I'm not absolutely certain he's teething? It is just natural stuff like chamomile, after all. I don't know, but I'll tell you this: teething or not, the remedy worked. The crying was replaced with a spacey grin in which he seemed to stare off happily at nothing in the corporeal world. Fluorescent, surfing mushrooms in his head perhaps? Soon he was out for two hours.

1 comment: