Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Explosive Poops

Most parents of boys have to protect themselves and the baby and the surrounding furniture from urine sprays during diaper changes. We're not immune to this problem (or should I say "I" since I've done just about all but two of Atticus's diaper changes), but the spraying urine issue pales in comparison to his explosive mid-diaper-change poops. This baby can spray poop several feet out, and it's not uncommon for him to do so two to three diaper changes in a single day (sometimes four explosions in the same diaper change). Am I feeding him too much? Am I eating too many vegetables? I don't have a clue, but no mother I have mentioned this to so far recalls her baby ever (ever!?) pooping during a diaper change. At the moment I have a towel draped over his changing pad because all of my changing pad covers are in the laundry. :(

Today we're going to our first mom and baby group at the Birth Center. I'm hoping the doula who runs it will have some insight.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe there is something about changing his diaper that stimulates the pooping? Could an experiment be developed to test this hypothesis? (This problem reminds me of how mother cats lick their kittens' bottoms to stimulate defecation; perhaps wiping his bottom has a similar effect?) Of course, my only parenting analogy involves cats. :P
    -BDR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and thanks for not posting a picture along with this story. I was a tad worried when I saw the headline of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha--no pics this time. My other theory is that it has something to do with the air on his bum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I breastfed all three of my kids and certain vegetables and fruits had this effect on them. Sometimes it was not so much what was consumed but how much of a particular food that was consumed. You might want to track what you eat and his response to it. For me, cabbage, broccoli, greens and vegetables of that type seemed to bother my kids. I also have a habit of eating too many fruits at one sitting. This was a BIG problem for me. Just be sure he doesn't get dehydrated while you are investigating. Oh, by the way, he is a very handsome boy! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I will try a food diary. It's probably my best bet. It seems awfully sad to think that I may need to cut out or reduce certain healthy vegetables such as broccoli. And I have all of these lovely greens growing in my yard...

    The doula did say at least that the frequency of his poops is good: his body is good at eliminating (maybe too good for my taste).

    ReplyDelete