Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mom and Baby Group Addendum

I've been thinking more about mom and baby group. First, about an interaction involving these two particular women from mom and baby group. They looked a lot alike, so maybe they're related? And their babies were two of only three cloth-diapered babies in the group (both diapers green). Atticus would have been number four, except that my thus-far limited cloth diaper stash (awaiting shipment of more bum genius this week) was in the laundry, so he was in a disposable. I was perturbed by this despite that he was sporting a chlorine-free diaper at least. It was as if I'd dressed him in an Abercrombie & Fitch shirt on the first day of school.

Anyhow, there was a divide between these two women and the rest. The two pretty much just interacted with each other, except when they were dispensing expertise to the rest of us. Another woman asked the doula at what age she could use sunscreen on her baby, and the two mothers of green-cloth-diapered babies interjected about an environmental website that rates such things. They said that the safest baby sunscreens often use zinc oxide as the main ingredient, the same ingredient used in diaper rash creams.

The woman who posed the sunscreen question: "I don't know about that. Zinc is a metal."

Mother #2 of a green-cloth-diapered baby: "Iron is a metal too, and without it, your brain wouldn't develop."

The woman who posed the sunscreen question: "I'm rubber, and you're glue. What bounces off me sticks to you." (Okay, no, she didn't say that, but if it were up to me, she would have. I'm not siding with her. She did sound like an idiot, but still...)

Second, about the fact that it was recommended that we remove our babies' diapers while we massaged them, except I didn't dare risk that Atticus spray the neighboring babies and their mothers with his excrement.

Third, while massaging his toes, I noticed that Atticus had toe fuzz. I need to do a better job of bathing him the next go-around.

3 comments:

  1. The green diaper ladies sound obnoxious, and I don't think you should feel bad even if you chose to permanently use disposable diapers. I hate the idea of mothers shaming other mothers or somehow believing they are better mothers/citizens because of their choice of diaper or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All babies have toe fuzz. It just seems to be a good place for fuzz to gather.

    My experience with sunscreen is that you are not to use it until the child is 6 months old.

    Those 2 women are insane. Thats all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle....this just shows that you are a good writer! And very observant. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete