Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mom and Baby Group

Mom and baby group: lots of babies and lots of breasts.

I learned how to give Atticus an infant massage. I should try to do this every day, I was told. I'll try. He seemed to like it, but it was hard to tell whether it was the massage that he liked or the female baby (Annabelle) he couldn't take his eyes off of.

I bought him a new swaddle contraption. The doula highly recommended it--both swaddling and this swaddler in particular. She demonstrated it on him, and I have to say that it certainly was a tighter fit. He can wiggle an awful lot in the ones I've been using, so maybe that's why they haven't been so effective in getting him to stay asleep longer? However, she also said that it's pretty normal for a baby his size to wake to feed every 2-3 hours or more. Does "his size" mean his weight? His age? I suppose I should have asked. Anyhow, the only swaddler she had left was pink, so now my boy will be swaddled in pink each night. I figure he won't know any better.

I weighed him while we were there. He's now just over eleven pounds. Sheesh.

According to the doula, frequent pooping means a healthy baby, so while I'd like to alleviate this diaper change situation, at least I know he's eating plenty and that his digestive system is good at eliminating waste. That's some consolation.

2 comments:

  1. Does Atticus have a crush on Annabelle Dacks? That would be great if you and Penny were in the same Mom and Baby group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a different Annabelle. Penny wasn't there this week, but maybe I'll see her next week? Two Annabelles, who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete